Congratulations to Alex Gee, our December 2017 Athlete of the Month. Alex has been a staple in our morning classes for years now and sets the bar high for those who work out later in the day. He consistently shows up four days per week and is always willing to works on his weaknesses (which are few). Alex has always been a powerful athlete, but his more recent efforts in gymnastics have yielded him great success and created an exceptionally well-rounded CrossFitter. Alex has a great attitude, a distinguished beard, and a focused work ethic that he brings every time he steps into C3. He also competed in his first CrossFit competition at the 2017 Battle for the Hill this summer. Congratulations again Alex, and keep up the great work!
1. In general, what is your background?
- I was born and raised in Springfield. I played high school basketball and baseball at SHG and went on to play baseball at Eastern Illinois University. My wife, Missy, also does crossfit, and we are busy raising our six-month old daughter.
2. Age and Occupation?
- 30, Manager of Pricing at H. D. Smith
3. How did you get to know about CrossFit and why did you start?
- A friend of mine was working out at C3 and encouraged me to go to check out an on-ramp class. I was a couple years out of college and couldn’t find a workout routine that kept me motivated and fit. I was looking for something that had the competitive feel of college athletics.
4. How has CrossFit changed your life, lifestyle, level of fitness?
- Crossfit has introduced me to many great people. It has helped me manage the everyday stresses of life. It has challenged me to move beyond my comfort zone and achieve things I would have never attempted. It has taught me patience and that with a little persistence and grit, anything is possible.
5. Name one goal and/or personal record you would like to accomplish through CrossFit.
- I would like to complete a workout with ring muscle ups as prescribed. I would like to complete Grace in under 1:30.
6. Favorite CrossFit moment so far?
- Getting my first bar muscle up in the 2016 Open.
7. What is your least favorite WOD to date?
- High rep double under or hand-stand push-up workouts are tough for me.
8. What do you like most about Capital City CrossFit?
- The community that Brian has brought together that is always pushing each other to be the best versions of ourselves that we can be.
9. Favorite movement?
- Shoulder to Overhead
10. Least favorite movement?
- Handstand push-ups